Sarah competed in her first triathlon in St. Louis, MO in June of 2003 upon college graduation and became a professional triathlete less than a year later in May, 2004.
While in college, Sarah competed in cross-country and track at the University of Tulsa. She has a degree in Elementary Education and a minor in Mathematics.
Sarah grew up in St. Louis, MO and began swimming at a very young age. She swam on the Parkway Swim Club and ran cross country and track in high school. Sarah was a Missouri high school state champion in cross country and swimming, while attending Parkway South High School.
Sarah thoroughly enjoys teaching and coaching children and adults of all ages about the benefits of health and exercise, as well as teaching the skills of swimming, biking and running.
In December of 2006, Sarah married Nathan Kortuem, who is now her current coach and training partner. Sarah and Nathan have a three year old daughter, Caroline and reside in Eureka, Missouri. Sarah is currently taking time off from professional racing as she is expecting her second child in the spring of 2017.
- 44 Professional Wins
- 2004 U23 National Champion
- 2005 Los Angeles Triathlon Champion first Pro win
- 2006 US National Champion
- 2007 Pan American Games Silver Medal
- 2008 Silver Medal at the ITU World Championships
- 2008 Beijing Olympic Team Member, 11th place
- 2009/2011/2012 Race To The Toyota Cup Series Champion
- 6x Winner St. Anthony’s Triathlon
- 4x Winner LifeTime Fitness and Chicago Triathlons
- 2011 Pan American Games Gold Medal
- 2012 Olympic Team Alternate
- 2014 3rd Race To The Toyota Cup Series
- 5 x 70.3 Ironman Champion
- 2016 70.3 Pan American 70.3 Championships winner
- 2016 NYC Triathlon Champion
A FEW FAVORITES
Trail fartlek run
Training gear: Skechers UltraRoad, Triflare swim, BlueSeventy Helix wetsuit
Bikes: For the Dirt: Fuji SLM 1.0, For the Road: Fuji Transonic, For time trial racing:
Fuji Norcom-Straight 1.1
Powermeter: Quarq Elsa R
Wheels: Zipp Firecrest 404 Carbon Clinchers for ITU races, Zipp Firecrest 808 Tubular and Zipp Super-9 Disc Tubular for time trial racing
Tires: Zipp Tangent Tires
MissionAthlete Cooling Towel
Training fuel: Glukos Fruit Punch Energy Powder hydration mix
A delicious steak or a crisp and juicy apple
I love reading books to my daughter, so currently children’s books are what I read. I love the “Llama Llama” Series
The Walking Dead and Fear the Walking Dead/ Sound of Music